Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Muffins brings you a delightful autumn breakfast treat. A perfectly spiced muffin is combined with a tangy cream cheese filling and finished off with buttery crumble. These muffins are better than any you can get at any coffee shop.
Golden leaves bring with them autumnal beauty. The cool air have the aroma of earthiness. It’s the season for hot drinks and spiced treats.
And these Pumpkin spice cream cheese muffins are the perfect way to embrace cosy autumn days. Made with ingredients you probably have at home, these muffins are quick and easy to put together. An added plus is this is a one bowl recipe. Meaning you need a whisk or spoon and a mixing bowl.
Key Ingredients for making Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Muffins
All purpose or plain flour is all you need for the muffins. Self-Raising flour can also be used, however omit the raising agents and salt if using this.
Homemade Pumpkin spice made with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, all spice gives these muffins their flavour profile.
Light or Dark Brown Sugar sweeten the muffins and add a depth of flavour. The molasses in brown sugar makes the muffins soft and moist.
Buttermilk lightens up the muffin batter . It also contributes to the leavening of baked goods. When used together with baking soda it produces carbon dioxide, which gives the muffins their rise. If you haven’t got any buttermilk at hand, make some by mixing in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar with 250 ml (1 cup) milk and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
Butter adds rich flavour to the muffins.
Eggs provide structure and richness.
Let's get into the details for making these Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Muffins
There are three parts to the Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Muffins.
First is the one bowl pumpkin spice muffin batter. The muffin batter starts off by whisking together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin spice. In another bowl, melted butter, 2 eggs, vanilla extract and buttermilk are whisked together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Avoid over mixing.
Next is the cream cheese filling. Whisk together cream cheese, vanilla extract, and sugar until smooth and creamy.
And the final part is the crumb topping. Make this by mixing together brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon until combined. Add room temperature butter and gently mix with a fork until crumbs form.
To assemble the muffin, first line a 12-muffin pan with paper liners. Add in a tablespoon of muffin batter, then layer with cream cheese filling, another tablespoon of batter and top with crumb topping. Press the crumbs into the top of each muffin so it sticks. Bake muffins for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
The sweet smell of these muffins will have your kitchen smelling delicious. Soft, moist perfectly spiced muffins are the just the way to start your day.
How to store Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Muffins
These muffins can be stored at room temperature for a day or in the fridge for up to 1 week. The muffins can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then heat in the microwave for 30 seconds if desired.
For more Autumn Baking Recipes check these out
Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Muffins
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 45 grams (3 tablespoons) light or dark brown sugar
- 60 grams (½ cup) plain or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 60 grams (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- 240 grams (2 cups) plain or all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 150 grams (¾ cup) light or dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 120 grams (½ cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 120 ml (½ cup) buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Filling
- 180 grams (6.3 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 50 grams (¼ cup) caster or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C Fan/200°C/400°F. Line a muffin tray with paper muffin liners.
- Make the crumb topping by combining brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a small bowl, Add in softened room temperature butter and gently mix with a fork until crumbs form.
- Make the pumpkin spice batter by sifting together flour, baking powder baking soda, salt and pumpkin spice into a large mixing bowl. Mix in the brown sugar. In a jug, whisk together buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Avoid overmixing as this will produce a dense muffin. Set aside.
- Make the cream cheese filling by whisking together cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of muffin batter into the paper liner. Layer with 1 tablespoon of cream cheese filling, then another tablespoon of muffin batter. Sprinkle crumb topping onto the muffin batter, then press it down into the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Leave muffins to cool for 10 minutes in the tray before removing. They are best served at room temperature,