This soft moist coffee loaf cake has a crumbly cinnamon streusel which ripples through in the centre and crowns the top. It is perfect for breakfast, as an afternoon snack or served warm with custard for dessert.
The beauty of cake making is that you can take a simple recipe and turn it into something spectacular. It’s as simple as adding cinnamon and some toasted walnuts or pecans to turn your cake into a showstopper. Cinnamon is such an aromatic warming spice and adds this delectable oomph to baked goods and drinks. From cinnamon rolls, to hot chocolate. It is treat for bakers and dessert lovers.
The crisp buttery streusel is made with walnuts, cinnamon, flour, brown sugar and butter. If you prefer pecans, use that instead and if you have a nut allergy, omit. The cake still tastes delicious either way. What is also great about this recipe is that the streusel can be made at least a day in advance. Simply refrigerate it in an airtight container until you are ready to bake the cake.
What you will need for this Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Loaf Cake
Flour: Plain or all purpose flour can be used.
Baking Powder– This helps give the cake it’s rise.
Sugar– Either caster or granulated sugar can be used to sweeten the cake.
Butter– Adds rich flavour to the cake
Sour cream– This adds moisture to the cake and creates a soft melt in your mouth crumb. Yoghurt is also a great substitute.
Eggs– This binds the cake together as well as adds flavour
Milk– Also adds moisture to the cake.
Brown sugar– It adds depth of flavour to the streusel.
Walnut or Pecans– They add taste and texture to the streusel.
How to make the streusel
The streusel recipe is incredibly easy to make. No special tools are needed. First, toast your walnuts or pecans, then chop them up. In a small mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, chopped nuts and cinnamon. Add your room temperature butter and then work in with your fork or fingers until the mixture is crumbly. Cover and set aside until you are ready to use.
How to store the streusel cake
I have made this cake many times. It stays soft for days. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or wrapped in cling film and placed in the fridge for up to 7 days.
For more delicious breakfast recipes
Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Loaf Cake
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons plain (all purpose) flour
- 75 grams (⅓ cup) brown sugar
- 60 grams (½ cup) chopped walnuts or pecans. toasted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 200 grams granulated or caster sugar
- 185 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 125 ml (½ cup) sour cream, room temperature
- 210 grams (1¾ cups) plain or all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 125 ml (½ cup) milk, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Lightly grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Spread nuts in a single layer on a baking tray and toast, until they are fragrant and the colour deepens. This will take about for 10 minutes. Chop and set aside.
- Make the topping by whisking together brown sugar, flour, walnuts or pecans, cinnamon. Add room temperature butter and then work in with a fork until the mixture is crumbly.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder, set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in sour cream. With mixer on low, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf tin, spreading all the way to the edges. Sprinkle the streusel filing evenly on the batter.
- Spread the remaining batter on top of the filling. Sprinkle the remaining streusel over the cake batter.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 50 minutes or or until tooth pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Leave to cool tin on wire racks for 10 minutes, then remove gently from the tin. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting. Serve warm with ice cream or custard.