This buttery Nutella chocolate chunk skillet cookie is so delicious and easy to make. It is a chocolate chunk cookie with a gooey Nutella centre baked in a skillet pan.
I have a secret obsession with desserts that have hidden delights inside. This soft buttery chocolate chunk cookie looks innocent enough but when you cut into it, the cookie opens up to a gooey Nutella centre. It’s sweet and buttery. The recipe for this cookie is made for two or if we had to push it maybe three. Or you could have it all to yourself. Baking the cookie in a skillet pan means everyone can grab a spoon and simply tuck in.
How to make a Nutella Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie
The skillet chocolate chunk cookie starts off with my favourite cookie recipe which I adapted to fit in a 6.5 inch skillet pan.
Start off by beating brown sugar, white sugar and room temperature butter until light and fluffy. Mix in an egg yolk then sift in plain flour, baking soda and salt. Then fold in chocolate chunks. Now you can begin creating the cookie layers.
Grease the skillet with some butter or non stick spray. Press half the cookie batter into the base of the skillet. Now it’s time to spread over your Nutella.
How much Nutella do you need??? I’d say about half a cup. If you are a hardcore Nutella lover, you could always add a bit more. Spread the Nutella over the cookie dough, leaving a gap around the edges of the cookie. Now take the chunks of the remaining cookie batter and lay it over the top of the Nutella until it is completely covered. Top with more chocolate chunks if you want, then bake in a preheated oven.
Bake until the cookie is golden brown and the centre is slightly under baked. We want that gooey centre. I am about that gooey cookie life. Aren’t you?
There are two ways you can eat this. You can eat it straight out of the pan with a large scoop of ice cream on top or cut the cookie into individual slices.
Whichever you eat this you will definitely love it.
Nutella Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie
- 60 grams (½ cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 120 grams (½ cup) plain or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 90 grams (3 oz) chocolate chunks
- 150 grams (½ cup) Nutella
- Lightly grease a 6.5 inch skillet with a little butter. Preheat the oven to 160°C Fan/180°C/350°F.
- In the bowl of stand mixer beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg yolk, mixing well until combined. Scrap sides as needed. Add vanilla extract.
- Sift together corn flour, salt and baking soda into mixture. Mix the flour mixture into the butter on low speed until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Divide the cookie dough into two. Place half of the cookie dough into your prepared skillet and press down to form one even layer.
- Melt the Nutella in a microwave for 30 seconds until it has a thinner consistency. Then, spread out the Nutella on top using a small spatula or the back of a spoon ensuring you leave a small gap around the edges.
- Grab small pieces of your remaining cookie dough, flatten them in your hand, and place them on top of the Nutella. Ensure all the cookie dough pieces join together and the layer of Nutella is completely covered.
- Bake the cookie for 25 minutes, rotating the skillet half way through baking.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before diving in.