Cool off on hot summer days with this refreshing watermelon lemonade. Fresh watermelon juice is infused with mint simple syrup and lemon juice. It is so light and satisfying.
Summer is in full swing here in the United Kingdom. The heat has been heating and cool breezes are a myth right now. The homes in UK are built to retain heat and there is not an aircon in sight, so when it’s hot you will know.
I have however been taking full advantage of the hot weather by spending a lot of time in the garden with a jug of this refreshing watermelon lemonade.
Why you will love this Watermelon Lemonade
It’s easy to make and comes together quickly.
Watermelon is sweet and juicy, with a high water content, making it the perfect thirst quencher.
This drink is a great make ahead recipe. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
Let's make this Watermelon Lemonade
All you will need to make this drink are a few ingredients and a blender:
- Ripe Watermelon
This watermelon lemonade is simple to make. First make the simple syrup by combining water, sugar and mint leaves in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer for a few minutes, then remove from heat. Let the syrup steep, for about 30 minutes.
Now make the watermelon juice, by blending chunks of watermelon. Then strain through a fine mesh sieve into a jug. Add the cooled syrup and lemon juice to the watermelon juice. Chill until cold. Before serving, top with sparkling or soda water.
Every sip is so tasty and refreshing which is needed in the heat of summer.
Tips for Lemonade
The amount of sugar can be increased or reduced to your taste.
For a more tart drink, use more lemon juice.
You can turn this lemonade into an adult beverage by replacing the sparkling water with a splash of vodka. Thank me later.
A variety of fresh fruit like pineapple, strawberries, blueberries and mango can be used to make this drink.
For more drinks, check these out:
- 150 grams (⅔ cup) granulated sugar (more or less to taste)
- 150 ml (⅔ cup) water
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 1000 grams (6.5 cups) watermelon chunks, chilled
- 250 ml (1 cup) fresh lemon juice (5-6 lemons)
- sparkling water
- ice and fresh melon balls, for garnish (optional)
- Add water, sugar and mint to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Leave to simmer for 3 minutes and then remove from the heat and let the syrup steep for about 30 minutes. Pour syrup through a mesh sieve into a glass jar.
- Chop the watermelon in to chunks. Place the watermelon, lemon juice and mint sugar syrup in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Strain the watermelon mixture into a jug. Chill until ready to serve.
- Serve in glasses with ice cubes and top with sparkling water. Garnish if desired with melon balls.