Post updated 01/04/2023
Chocolate Salted Caramel Truffle Cupcakes – moist chocolate cupcakes filled with rich chocolate salted caramel truffle and, frosted with fluffy chocolate buttercream. These cupcakes are indulgent and decadent.
Why you will love this recipe
It’s an easy one-bowl recipe with the dry ingredients sifted into a bowl and then the wet ingredients added.
The cupcakes stay moist for days. They can be made up to 2 days in advance.
Full of flavour. These cupcakes have a rich deep chocolate flavour and they have an incredibly moist soft crumb. Use good quality cocoa powder to enhance the flavour of the cupcakes.
The buttercream is rich and indulgent. It contains both melted chocolate and cocoa powder.
It has a lush chocolate salted caramel centre.
These chocolate cupcakes can be paired with any flavour frosting. It is amazing with strawberry swiss meringue, peanut buttercream, mascarpone cheesecake frosting, and cherry buttercream.
Let's get into making these chocolate salted caramel truffle cupcakes
Ingredients you will need:
Plain or All-Purpose Flour: Gives the cupcakes structure.
Granulated & Brown sugar: The molasses in the brown sugar adds to flavour and moisture to the cupcakes.
Cocoa Powder: Use cocoa powder which contains potassium carbonate or Dutch- process cocoa powder. This type of cocoa is mellow in flavour and produces a darker richer cake.
Baking powder & Baking Soda: Use both to leaven the cupcakes
Salt: Balances the sweetness and enhances the cupcakes’ flavour.
Eggs: Use 2 room-temperature eggs. It binds the ingredients together easily and creates a smooth batter.
Sour cream: Helps to keep the cupcakes moist.
Milk: Adds moisture to the cupcakes
Oil: Vegetable, sunflower or canola oil can be used. It keeps the cupcakes moist and light.
Espresso powder: Elevates the flavour of the chocolate.
How to make the chocolate cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 170 C, and position a rack in the centre of your oven. Line your muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, cocoa powder, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add sour cream, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract to a measuring jug. Whisk until combined.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until just incorporated. everything is incorporated and you have a smooth batter. Slowly add in hot coffee and whisk until you have a smooth chocolate batter.
Use a measuring jug and fill the paper liners 3/4 full. Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to the wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Salted Caramel Truffle
- Finely chop a block of chocolate and set aside.
- To a heavy-based saucepan, add sugar, water, and glucose. Whisk together until well combined. Cook over medium heat, for 8 minutes or until the sugar turns a deep amber colour.
- Remove from heat and immediately add in double or heavy cream.
- Add in chopped chocolate and butter and stir until smooth. Stir in sea salt. Using a hand or immersion blender to blend the mixture until smooth. Leave to cool before using.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat butter and vegetable shortening for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Increase the speed to medium and beat until combined.
- Add in melted chocolate, vanilla, and cream. Beat until light and fluffy.
Assemble the Chocolate Salted Caramel Truffle Cupcakes
Use a cupcake corer or a large round cupcake nozzle to remove the centres of the cooled cupcakes.
Fill a small piping bag with ganache and pipe it into the centres of the cupcakes.
Fit a piping bag with a 1M tip and fill it with buttercream. Pipe buttercream swirls onto the cupcakes.
Tips for success
- Use room temperature ingredients. The batter mixes together evenly when all the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Make the cupcakes in advance. They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- It is important you use good-quality chocolate as it will affect the flavour of the ganache. I like dark chocolate with 50-60% cocoa.
For more chocolate cupcakes, check these out:
If you made this recipe, I would love to hear from you. Please rate the recipe and let me know in the comments what you thought! Also, be sure to follow Bakes By Chichi on Instagram and tag me when you try one of my recipes so I can see all your delicious creations!
Chocolate Salted Caramel Truffle Cupcakes
- 105 g (¾ cup + 2 tablespoons) all-purpose or plain flour
- 100 g (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 100 g (1 cup) light brown sugar
- 60 g (½ cup) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) vegetable or sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 60 ml (¼ cup) whole milk, room temperature
- 60 ml (¼ cup) sour cream, room temperature
- 120 ml ( ½ cup) hot coffee
- 175 g (6.1 ounces) granulated sugar
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) glucose or light corn syrup
- 40 ml (2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons) water
- 250 (1 cup) double or heavy cream
- 60 grams (¼ cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150 grams (5.2 ounces) dark chocolate, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 240 grams (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) vegetable shortening
- 400 grams (4 cups) icing sugar
- 120 grams (1 cup) cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 200 grams (7 ounces) dark chocolate melted
- 60 ml (¼ cup) double or heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160 °C . Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, sift together cocoa powder, sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.,
- In a measuring jug or bowl combine eggs, oil, milk, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Add wet ingredients to flour mixer and beat on medium speed until smooth and incorporated. Stir in hot coffee.
- Fill each liner ⅔ full and Bake for 20 or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack to cool completely.
Chocolate Salted Caramel Truffle
- Finally chop dark chocolate and set aside
- In a heavy based pan mix together sugar and water. Melt sugar over medium heat stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and leave to bubble for 4- 5 minutes until the mixture turns to caramel.
- Immediately remove from heat, then carefully stir in cream. The caramel will bubble rapidly.
- Add in chopped chocolate and butter and mix until melted. Use a hand blended to blend until the caramel is smooth. Stir in sea salt.
- Leave the salted chocolate caramel sauce to cool, then transfer it to an airtight container or jar.
- Put the chocolate in a bowl and microwave at 30-second bursts until melted. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer beat butter and vegetable shortening until creamy about 3 minutes.
- Add the icing sugar a cup at a time and beat. Add cocoa powder and salt. Beat until incorporated,
- Add melted chocolate, cream and vanilla extract.
- Increase the speed of the mixer and beat until the buttercream is light and fluffy about 5 minutes.
Assemble the cupcakes
- Using a large cupcake nozzle remove the centre of the cupcakes.
- Fill a small piping bag with ganache and pipe it into the centres of the cupcakes.
- Fit a piping bag with a 1M tip and fill it with buttercream. Pipe buttercream swirls onto the cupcakes.