In celebration of such a great day i decided to bake cupcakes inspired by the colours the
Ghanaian Flag. The Ghanaian flag is made up of the colours red which represents the blood
shed to gain independence , gold represents the industrial mineral wealth of Ghana and green
which symbolises the rich grassland of Ghana and the black star which is a symbol of the
Ghanaian people and African emancipation.
Yield -18 cupcakes
Prep time – 15mins
Cook time – 20mins
240g (1 cup) unsalted butter at room temperature
400g (2 cups) caster sugar
4 large eggs at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
360g (3 cups) flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
180ml (3/4 cup) milk
60ml (1/4) sour cream
120g (1/2 cup)unsalted butter at room temperature
240g (2 2/3 cups) icing sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2-3 tablespoons double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius . Lone a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cupcake or muffin cases.
- In the bowl of stand mixer (or using hand mixer) cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 5 minutes.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a separate bowl.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla extract and then sour cream.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternate additions of the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Divide the batter into 3 equal batches. Add food colouring as desired until you have the tone required.
- Spoon mixtures into piping bags and pipe green batr first, repeating with yellow batter and then red batter until each cupcake liner is filled 2/3 of the way up.
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in middle just comes out clean.(Do not overbake)
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat butter in bowl of mixer (or using hand mixer)until light and creamy.
- Add icing sugar , vanilla and double cream and whip until icing is creamy and fluffy.