These Seasoned Breakfast Potatoes are a dish everyone is sure to love. Crispy roasted potatoes sautéed with streaky bacon, parsley and butter. It’s the perfect dish for a weekend brunch.
The idea for this recipe came from my sister. We were having our daily chat about food and then she mentioned breakfast potatoes. I was so intrigued. What is this deliciousness she’s describing? I love potatoes especially when they are well seasoned. At the time as well, I had just bought this Spanish smoked paprika from Amazon and I was looking for reason to use them.
Now these aren’t just any breakfast potatoes, these are perfectly seasoned potatoes sautéed it in butter, parsley and crispy bacon and then served with your favourite sides. The smoked paprika gives it a rich smokey flavour, the cayenne pepper adds some heat.
Let’s get into the ingredients for this seasoned breakfast Potatoes
Potatoes– Use potatoes that are firm, waxy or have a floury texture. Russet, Maris Piper and King Potatoes are floury potatoes that fluff up when cooked making them perfect for roasting or baking. Waxy potatoes like Charlotte hold their shape and have a firm bite. All-purpose potatoes like Yukon Gold are a perfect compromise between fluffy russet potatoes and moist, waxy varieties.
Salt– It balances out the flavours in the dish.
Seasoning– Smoked paprika, cayenne paper, garlic granules, onion powder, black pepper and salt adds a depth of flavour to the potatoes.
Streaky Bacon– With a good amount of fat this bacon adds flavour to the dish. It also super crispy when cooked.
Parsley– Season up the potatoes with some chopped parsley. Rosemary or thyme are also great alternatives.
How to make the Seasoned Breakfast Potatoes
These potatoes take minimal effort to make. Peel your potatoes and soak them in cold water for 30 minutes. I do this to remove some of the starch from the potatoes. Mix together your seasonings and set aside. Pat dry your potatoes with a kitchen towel and cut them into cubes.
Place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl, drizzle over some olive oil and then toss them with your salt and seasoning.
Line a large baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat (*affiliate link*) and arrange the potatoes in a single layer. You don’t want them too crowded, else they won’t crisp up as they bake. Then place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
While the potatoes are baking, fry your streaky bacon. I love mine crispy. Heat your frying pan and skillet until hot and cook your bacon for 1-2 minutes on each side or cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or4 until crispy. Chop the bacon into bits.
Once the potatoes are golden and crispy, sauté them in some melted butter and add in the bacons bits and finish it off with some freshly chopped parsley.
Serve these with your favourites sides. Mine are scrambled eggs and baked beans.
Storing and reheating leftovers
These crispy potatoes are best eaten immediately. However, if you have any leftovers, place them in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. To reheat, warm a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and cook until warmed through.
For more breakfast ideas, check these recipes out:
Breakfast Omelette Muffins
Fluffy Ricotta Pancakes
Rich Buttermilk Scones
Seasoned Breakfast Potatoes with Crispy Bacon
- 907 grams (2 pounds) potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules or powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 4 slices streaky bacon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Peel and soak in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/180° C fan/400°F.
- Pat the potatoes dry and dice into cubes. Place the diced potatoes in a mixing bowl and drizzle over olive oil and season with salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic and black pepper. Mix well until combined.
- Place the potatoes onto a lined baking tray and bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until the cooked and golden brown.
- Put the bacon in a non stick frying pan over medium heat and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until crispy. To cook the bacon in the oven, line a baking tray with parchment paper. Put bacon on the baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy.
- Chop cooked bacon into bits and set aside.
- Add butter to the frying pan and melt over medium heat. Add the cooked potatoes, bacon bits and chopped parsley. Stir to combine.
- Remove potatoes and bacon from the pan and transfer to a serving dish. Serve warm and enjoy.