These light and fluffy ricotta pancakes are so delicious that you shouldn’t just have them for breakfast. Have them for lunch or even dinner.
Saturdays are dedicated to pancakes. We usually have French Crepes or Thick American Pancakes. I mostly make these as the ingredients are cupboard staples. After a while it eating the same thing gets a bit boring. That is where these light and fluffy Ricotta pancakes or hotcakes come in. It is perfect for weekend morning breakfast.
Let’s talk about how these pancakes are made. Start by separating your eggs. Mix together the ricotta cheese, egg yolks and milk. Add the cheese mixture to flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Next you want to whip your egg whites to stiff peaks. This is definitely one step you should not miss. The whipped egg whites give the ricotta pancakes it light and airy texture. Whip the egg whites until they reach stiff peaks. Then use a spatula to gently fold the whipped egg whites into the pancake batter.
Leave the batter to rest for at least 10 minutes before cooking. You want to do that as this helps the batter to settle which creates an even lighter pancake.
Cook the pancakes for 2- 3 minutes on each side. I keep the pancakes warm in a preheated oven whilst I cook the rest.
Enjoy the pancakes with some whipped cream and fresh strawberries. And don’t forget to drizzle your favourite syrup over your pancakes.
- 250 grams Ricotta
- 180 ml Milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Seperate eggs.
- In a large mixing bowl add ricotta, milk, egg yolks and vanilla extract and whisk together to combine.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the ricotta mixture and gently mix to form a smooth batter.
- Beat egg whites until stiff andfold into batter (egg whites lighten the batter).
- Using a pastry brush, brush the frying pan with oil and heat over medium hear. Pour a 1/4 cup of batter into the hot frying pan. Cook the pancakes for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown and then flip them over and cook for about another 2 minutes until golden. Keep cooked pancakes warm by placing them in a pre-heated oven. Cook remaining pancakes.