Two layers of rich chocolate cake filled with luxurious mascarpone cream and mixed berries.
Happy April!!! It is the start of a brand new month and 2 days till Easter. Well if you are looking for an easy, effortless yet showstopper dessert I have one to share with you.
The dessert starts off with my favourite chocolate cake recipe, with a slight adaption. Instead of white sugar that I used light muscovado sugar. Light muscovado has a deep caramel flavour which works brilliantly in the chocolate cake. The chocolate cake is soft, the crumbs are tender and extremely delicious and forms the perfect foundation for this wonderful dessert.
Baking tip – grease and line the sides and base of your cake tin with parchment paper for easy removal of cake. This also prevents your cake from sticking to the tin.
The chocolate cake can be baked at least 3 days in advance and wrapped and left to chill in the fridge. And with the chocolate cake being oil based it stays moist.
The frosting is absolutely is one of my favourites. I used it for this Devil’s Food Poke Cake i shared recently on the blog. The mascarpone cream is smooth, silky and luxurious. Whip together mascarpone cheese , whipping cream and icing sugar till stiff peaks form.
Assembling this cake is effortless, no need for a bench scraper or piping nozzles. All you need is an offset spatula and a serving platter.
Place on layer of cake on the serving platter spread a thick amount of mascarpone cream then spread some berries around the edges of the cake. Use whatever berries are in season where you live. Top with the final layer of cake then spread another thick layer of frosting and decorate the top with mixed berries.
Drizzle with chocolate ganache if you wish and serve.
Stay up to date with Bakes by ChiChi on:
or you can subscribe to my weekly newsletter
Chocolate Cake with Mascarpone Cream & Berries
- 210 grams (1¾ cup) all purpose or plain flour
- 360 grams (2 cups) light muscovado sugar
- 120 grams (1 cup) cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 120 ml sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 250 ml (1 cup) whole or semi skimmed milk , room temp
- 250 ml (1 cup) hot coffee ( 1 cup hot water mixed with 2 teaspoons espresso powder)
- 250 grams (1 cup) mascarpone cheese
- 250 ml (1 cup) double or whipping cream
- 50 grams (½ cup) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250 grams (8.8 ounces) strawberries
- 125 grams (4.4 ounces) raspberries
- 125 grams (4.4 ounces) blackberries
- Preheat oven to 160°C Fan/180°C conventional/ 350°F. Grease and line the base and sides of 2X 8 – inch round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer sift together cocoa powder, sugar, flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a measuring jug or bowl combine eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla extract. Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and beat on medium speed until smooth and incorporated. Stir in hot water.
- Divide chocolate cake batter equally between the cake tins.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Invert onto rack gently, discard parchment paper and then cool completely.
- Wrap in cling film and chill in fridge until ready to use.
- Combine mascarpone cheese, cream and icing sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until thick like firmly whipped cream. Add vanilla. Cover and chill until needed. Will keep for up to 2 days.
- Place one cake layer onto cake plate and layer with mascarpone cream.
- Place strawberries, raspberries and blackberries over the cream and gently press down into whipped cream.
- Cover berries with 2nd layer of of cake and press down gently to level out the cake. Finish cake with more mascarpone cream and remaining berries.