Easy Tex-Mex Stir Fry Steak with Peppers. It is spicy and full of flavour. Tender strips of marinated steak served with sautéed onions and bell peppers. It’s a quick meal using simple ingredients which is perfect for busy weekdays and come together in about 30 minutes. Serve with steamed rice and avocado for a very enjoyable meal.
Recently I was looking through a cookery book my sister left with me about seven years ago and I came across this a quick and easy steak stir fry recipe. I honestly can’t believe it has taken me this long to try out a recipe from the book. When I mentioned it to my sister she just couldn’t believe it. In my defence the book was hidden away at the back of a book shelf.
Now here’s what I love about this steak recipe. Firstly, it’s easy to make, 2nd of all it’s packed with spicy flavours and finally it looks and tastes really really good.
Here’s how to make this Tex-Mex Beef Stir Fry
Firstly you will need to make your Tex-Mex seasoning. The bonus about making your own seasoning, is that you can tweak it to suit your taste buds. Love heat, add more chilli powder. Reduce or omit salt if you want to.
For the seasoning you will need:
- Chilli Powder- I used a combination Ancho and Arbol chillies.
- Smoked or Sweet Paprika
- Ground Cumin
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- Salt, to taste
Whisk together the spices and herb and pour into an airtight container until you are ready to use.
Next grab some steak and slice thinly. You can use whatever cut of steak you prefer skirt, rump, rib eye, sirloin or topside. Marinate the sliced steak with taco seasoning. The steak can be marinated in the seasoning for several hours or overnight, then covered and placed in the fridge until you are ready to use.
To cook the steak, heat up a skillet or frying pan and cook the strips in batches for 2-3 minutes or to your preferred doneness. Remove from the skillet and transfer to a plate. Cover cooked beef with a foil. Using the same skillet, add in a little oil and stir fry the onions and bell peppers until just tender. Return the beef to the skillet and toss together.
I love to serve this steak with rice, sliced avocado and some homemade salsa. It is that simple. Sometimes all it takes to make a great meal, is a few simple ingredients.
This is the perfect summer dish. Light, not to filling.
For more easy weeknight meals, check these out
Tex-Mex Stir-Fry Steak with Peppers
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 500 grams (1.1 lbs) skirt steak or rump or sirloin sliced against the grain
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- garnish ( fresh coriander or basil)
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, smoked paprika, cumin, black pepper and salt Store in an airtight container
- In a mixing bowl, combine steak and taco seasoning (You can leave steak to marinate for several hours or overnight).
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a skillet or frying and stir fry beef , in batches until browned. About 2 minutes. Transfer steak to a plate and cover with a foil.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet, stir fry onion and bell peppers until just tender. Return steak to wok and toss together.
- Serve with rice and a side salad.