These spiced chocolate chip cookies are a delicious holiday treat. A blend of ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg add a festive twist to these cookies.
Have you ever got yourself something that you really wanted and then when you get it, it doesn’t live up to your expectations? Hello fan assisted oven!!! The fan is supposed to circulate heat evenly to ensure every bake is a perfect bake. Well my bakes weren’t perfect. One of the first thing’s I did after a couple of baking disasters was to adjust my baking times. A year after getting this oven, I am still learning to use. My advice to anyone who has a new oven and bakes is to get all up and personal with your oven.
Soft baked cookies filled with spices are always a favourite of mine during the Christmas season. I mixed the spiced cookie batter with a combination of white and milk chocolate chips.
For thicker cookies chill the batter for at least 4 hours or overnight. Bake the cookies for 11 minutes. They were slightly under baked, just how I love them. I baked some of the cookies were baked on a silpat and the remaining on baking trays lined with baking paper. The cookies baked on the baking tray linked with baking paper brown out more than the cookies baked on silpat mat. The reason being that baking paper retains more of the heat than the silpat baking mat, so you may find your cookies brown up a little more. Either way the cookies are delicious.
The cookies did not photograph as well as I wanted. It was grey skies and not a ray of sunlight in sight. I posted them anyway because these cookies are really really delish.
These cookies are perfect out to give out as gifts or as snacks over the holidays. I took mine to the office as treats for my work colleagues.
Before I sign off, let me take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.
Stay up to date with Bakes by ChiChi on:
or you can subscribe to my weekly newsletter
Spiced Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 180 grams (¾ cup) unsalted butter, room temp
- 180 grams (1 cup) light or dark brown sugar
- 50 grams (¼ cup) caster or granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1 egg yolk, room temp
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 265 grams (2 cups plus 2 tablespoons) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons corn flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- 200 grams (1 cup) combination of milk and white chocolate chips
- In the bowl of stand mixer beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg and egg yolk, mixing well until combined. Scrap sides as needed. Add vanilla extract.
- Sift flour, corn flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves into mixture. Mix until combined on low speed.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Cover and chill from 4 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 165°C. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper. Roll 1/4 cup (or large ice cream scoop) of dough into round balls. Place cookies 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake cookie dough for 11 minutes, rotating half way through baking. The sides of cookies will look golden brown and centres soft.
- Remove from oven. Leave to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing cookies. Place on wire rack to cool completely.