I fell in love with this cake after hearing my friend Robert describe it. Robert is my brain storming dessert recipe partner and also my photography mentor. I have learnt so much about photography from him and i am incredibly grateful for all his patience and the time he invests in teaching me.
This meringue cake is described as the World’s Best Cake and was awarded the title Norway’s National Cake. I have got to say this cake is something else. The crispy yet airiness of the sweet meringue paired with the soft sponge cake and softly whipped cream and the tartness of the raspberries creates a wonderfully decadent dessert.
The thought of making a meringue for the first time was somewhat daunting. Even more scary a meringue on top of a sponge cake. I started to think of the science of a baking the cake. What if i burn the meringue, what if the meringue does not turn out to be a meringue, what if the cake batter under the meringue doesn’t bake?? So many what if. I literally set up camp next to the oven watching the meringue cake bake. I did a little dance and victory scream when it all turned out ok.
Raspberry and Almond Meringue Cake
Prep Time: 30minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
For the Cake
180g (3/4 cup) butter
175g (3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons) caster sugar
200g (12/3 cup) plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs and 2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
60ml (1/4 cup) milk
2 egg whites
100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
2 tablespoons flaked almonds
200 ml double cream
140g (5 ounces) fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius.
- Grease and line the base of 2 loose bottom or springform 8 inch/20cm round cake tins with baking paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. About 3- 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and egg yolks and beat until well combined. Scrape down sides of bowls as needed. Beat in vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low, alternatively add the flour and milk in three additions , starting and ending with flour.
- Divide cake batter equally between cake tins and level the top.
- To prepare the meringue whisk egg whites in a clean bowl until the mixture resembles a fluffy cloud and stands up in stiff peaks when the blades are lifted.
- Add the sugar a tablespoon at a time and beat until thick and glossy.
- Spread the meringue onto one of the cakes , then sprinkle with flaked almonds.Bake both cakes for 30 minutes and take out the cake without the meringue out of the oven and set aside. Bake the remaining cake in the oven for another 10 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool on wire rack.
- When completely cool gently remove from cake tins from peel off paper
- To serve whip cream until soft peaks form
- Place plain cake on serving platter and spread whipped cream and top with fresh raspberries. Gently place the second layer of cake, meringue sideup onto the first layer.
- Cover and place in fridge until ready to serve.