These fluffy lemon pancakes are soft, thick and bursting with a delicious fresh lemon flavour with homemade strawberry sauce. Just perfect for breakfast or weekend brunch.
Having to stay home during this pandemic has inspired me to make meals with what we have a home. No more nipping to the supermarket to pick up this or that. So the other day, I was really craving pancakes, luckily I had the ingredients but no maple syrup. And I cannot eat my pancakes without syrup. Then it came to me, I could make a quick strawberry sauce to go with my pancakes. And it was so good.
Lemons remind me of sunshine and pancakes make me happy. Combining the two is sunshiny happiness on a plate. This recipe is simply, quick and comes together with just a few ingredients. I cannot even put in words how delicious these lemon pancakes are.
TIPS FOR THE BEST LEMON PANCAKES
Fresh Lemons– Use the zest and juice of a fresh lemon. The zest has a stronger taste than the juice so we want to include that in the pancakes. Either a box grater or my personal favourite a paring knife are perfect for zesting citrus. Vegetable peeler‘s also work well or if you have one, a zester. Wash your fruit first and then use a light touch to either grate or peel the yellow part of the peel. We don’t want the white pith which has a bitter flavour.
Use room temperature eggs and milk– Remove dairy products from the fridge at least an hour before baking. Egg whites and yolks combine easier when at room temperature and will disperse more evenly into the batter. Batter made with room temperature ingredients mix easily and evenly as well as produce light airy pancakes.
Batter– Do not overmix the batter. A few lumps left in the batter is fine.
Resting Time– Allow the batter to rest for at least 10 minutes. This allows the gluten in the flour to relax guaranteeing a lighter pancake.
Oil– Use oil instead of butter to cook your pancakes. Oil has a higher burning point than butter, so you are less likely to burn your pancakes.
How to cook the pancakes– Do not rush the cooking of the pancakes. Cook the pancakes on a medium to low heat. Pre-heat your frying pan on a medium heat first. When the pan has heated, turn the heat down to medium to low, brush lightly with oil. Wipe away any excess oil with a paper towel. Use a 1/4 cup to pour out the batter and use the back of a spoon to spread the batter in a circular motion. Wait until bubbles start forming on the top and around the surface of the pancake and the underside is golden before gently flipping with a spatula.
Keep warm– Pre-heat your oven to 100°C and stack the pancakes you cook them. Use a foil the tent the pancakes so the top does not brown any further.
The strawberry sauce was made using frozen strawberries. Fresh strawberries can also be used. Defrost the berries 1st and mascerate in sugar. The sugar pulls the juices of the fruit forming a syrup. Add lemon juice and cook the berries until the sauce has thickened. Puree the cooked strawberries, return to the heat and cook until thickened.
These lemon pancakes are pillow soft and delicious. And the sauce is delightful. Make these delicious fluffy pancakes with the strawberry sauce. Trust me you are in for a treat!!
If you make this delicious moist Banana Bread recipe, leave a comment below and tag @bakesbychichi on Instagram.
- 250 grams (2 cups) plain flour
- 50 grams (¼ cup) sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon
- 375 ml (1½cups) milk, room temperature
- 250 grams (8.8 ounces) frozen strawberries, thawed
- 70 grams (⅓ cup) sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Wash the lemon and wipe dry. Using either a zester or paring knife, remove the zest of the lemon, taking care not to remove any pith. Cut the lemon into half, place a strainer over a bowl and squeeze the juice from the lemon.
- Add the lemon juice to milk and whisk together. Set aside.
- Sift into a large mixing bowl, flour, baking powder, baking soda sugar and salt. Mix in the sugar and lemon zest.
- In a large jug, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract and melted butter. Mix in the milk mixture.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the wet mixture gradually. Gently whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to make a smooth batter. Leave the batter to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan over medium to low heat. Using a silicone pastry brush, brush the frying pan with oil. Use a paper towel to wipe away any excess oil. Turn the heat to low and add a ¼ cup of batter onto the frying pan. Use the back of a spoon to spread the batter into a round shape.
- Cook the pancake for about 2 minutes or until bubbles begin to appear on the surface and the underside of the pancake is golden brown, then flip it over and cook for about another 2 minutes or until golden. Repeat with the remaining batter. Keep the cooked pancakes warm by placing them in a pre-heated oven.
- Place strawberries and sugar in a mixing bowl and stir to coat all the berries with sugar. Leave to mascerate until the sugar has dissolved and a syrup forms.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Place the strawberry mixture into a large saucepan over low heat. Stir the mixtue very gently until all of the sugar has dissolved. Cook on medium to low heat for 10 minutes until the berries have softened and the blitz the mixture into a smooth puree. Return the strawberries to the heat and cook for a further 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with lemon pancakes.
This post contains affiliate links which I may receive commision for.
Best pancake recipe!!! My kids love it 😊