Soft spicy gingerbread cookies stuffed with soft caramel candies. These flavour packed caramel gingerbread cookies are perfect for Christmas
The flavourful spices and soft caramel centre make them a special holiday treat. You will love these cookies if you are a fan of spices and caramel. The spices add a depth of flavour to the cookies. These cookies have the perfect texture and flavour. This cookies will be a favourite of children and adults.
Key Ingredients for these caramel gingerbread cookies
Butter– Use room temperature unsalted butter. This helps bond the ingredients together easily.
Sugar– Light or dark sugar adds caramel flavour to the cookies as well as sweetens it.
Egg– 1 room temperature egg adds structure and stability within the batter as well as moisture.
Flour– Plain or all purpose flour is ideal for making these cookies. This is the base of the cookies
Baking Soda– This gives a rise to the cookies
Salt– Sea salt is added for flavour
Spices– Add flavour to the cookie batter
Treacle or Molasses– Add delicious flavour to the cookies.
Vanilla Extract– Adds flavour to the cookie.
Caramel – You can use werthers soft caramel or kraft caramel. I have made these cookies with both.
Tips for making these caramel gingerbread cookies
Chill the cookie dough for 2 hours. This is crucial step and not to be missed. The cookie dough batter will be wet and needs to be chilled until you can roll it without the dough sticking your hands, about 1 -2 hour. The longer you chill, the easier it will be handle to the dough.
Second chilling step is after you have stuffed the gingerbread cookie batter with caramel. Chilling the dough stops the cookie from spreading too much when baked and produces thicker cookies. I chilled the cookie dough for 2 hours.
To stuff the gingerbread cookie dough, you will need 10 soft caramel candies. Take 2 scoops of cookie batter using a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon. Roll each scoop into a ball. Place a caramel candy on one ball of dough . Top the caramel with the other ball of cookie dough and roll into a ball until the caramel isn’t showing. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for 2 hour or overnight.
Make these cookies ahead of time. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Before you bake take them out of the fridge and leave on the counter for 30 minutes.
For more cookie recipes, check these out:
If you make this, be sure to leave a comment below . I would also love it if you tag @bakesbychichi on Instagram ❤.
Caramel Gingerbread Cookies
- 300 grams (2½ cups) plain or all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons mixed spices
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 160 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 130 grams (⅔ cup) brown sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 90 grams treacle or molasses
- 20 caramel candies
- Sift flour, ginger, mixed spice, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl.
- In the stand of a mixer beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of bowl as needed.
- Add egg, vanilla extract and treacle or molasses and beat well until well combined. Add flour mixture to wet mixture . Do not over mix.
- Cover dough with a plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 1-2 hours or until you can handle it without it sticking to your hands.
- Scoop up two tablespoon of chilled dough and roll each into a ball with your hands. Place a caramel in the centre of 1 ball of dough. Top the caramel with the other ball of dough and roll until into a ball until the sides are sealed. Repeat with the rest of the dough and 19 caramel candies. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 160°C, Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place cookie balls on the prepared sheet , spreading them at least 4 inches apart.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes. Remove cookies from oven. The cookies will appear underdone and soft in the middle. Leave to cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes, then continue cooling on wire racks.