These Honey Barbecue Chicken Wings are finger licking delicious. The wings are baked till crispy and then tossed in sweet honey barbecue sauce. Serve with creamy ranch dressing.
My teenage daughter loves chicken wings. Given the chance she would eat them everyday. And she isn’t fussed if they are flats or drums. Just serve her up a plate of wings and she is happy.
I have been making these wings for years and I will be sharing with you my tried and tested method of getting delicious wings.
Let's get into the details of these Honey Barbecue Wings
The ingredients you will need for these are:
Chicken wings- Cut each wing at the joint, so you have a mini wing and a drum.
Seasonings- A blend of sweet smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ginger powder cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt adds a depth of flavour to the chicken wings. You can also use your favourite shop bought seasoning.
Aluminium free baking powder- It’s the secret to getting crispy wings. Coat the wings with baking powder just before baking.
How to make the wings
Pat the wings dry with paper towels to remove as much moisture as you can. Season the wings with spice blend.
Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour. I prefer to marinate mine overnight. Let the chicken sit for up to 30 minutes before cooking. This allows the chicken to come to an even temperature , which will help ensure even cooking.
Pre-heat the oven to 200°C. Just before baking, add in your baking powder and toss to coat the chicken wings. ow
Arrange the chicken in a single layer on a large baking rack. The rack ensures that there is airflow through the wings, which results in perfectly crispy wings.
Bake then until crispy and browned. Whilst the chicken is baking, make the barbecue sauce.
Sweet Honey Barbecue Sauce
There are so many flavours of barbecue sauce. Some are tangy, some sweet or have a smoky flavour. This sauce has a delightful spicy undertones, with a sweet and smoky flavour.
Mine starts off with a tomato ketchup base. To that I infuse flavour and heat by adding in onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper. Worcestershire sauce and molasses add a deep flavour. Apple cider gives the sauce its tanginess. Liquid smoke adds smoky notes. Brown sugar and honey sweeten the sauce.
Add all the ingredients to a saucepan. Mix together and bring to a slow boil before leaving to simmer for 15 minutes. Leave to cool before tossing the wings in it.
What to serve wings with
I love to serve the wings with creamy ranch dressing. To make this, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream and buttermilk until smooth. Add in dill, parsley, chives, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper, them whisk. Finally mix in some lemon juice. Pour in a jar, cover and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
Products used in recipe (Affiliate Link)
For more recipes, check these out:
Honey Barbecue Chicken Wings
Crispy Chicken Wings
- 1 kilogram (2.2 lbs) chicken wings, patted dry
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1½ tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons aluminium free baking powder
- 250 ml (1 cup) ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons molasses or treacle
- pinch cayenne powder
- 60 ml (¼ cup) honey
- 120 ml (½ cup) mayonnaise
- 120 ml (½ cup) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon chives (fresh or dried)
- 1 teaspoon parsley (fresh or dried)
- 1 teaspoon dill (fresh or dried)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Cut each wing at the joint, so you have a mini wing and a drum. Wash the wings in a water bath made with lemon juice and vinegar. Pat the wings dry with paper towels to remove as much moisture as you can.
- In a small bowl, combine onion powder, garlic powder, ginger powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt together. Whisk well to combine. Sprinkle the mixture over the wings. Toss wings through seasoning until evenly coated.
- Cover the wings and place them in the fridge and leave to marinate for 1 hour. Remove the wings from the fridge and sprinkle the baking powder over them and toss them together to make sure the baking powder coats all of them.
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Line a rimmed baking tray with aluminium foil and set a wire rack inside. Lightly spray the rack with neutral oil.
- Arrange on the wings on the rack in a single layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flip and continue to cook for another 30 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. The cooking time may vary depending on the size of the wings.
- Whilst the wings are baking, make the barbecue sauce. To a saucepan add all the ingredients and mix together. Heat the sauce over medium heat until boiling, the turn down heat to low and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Toss wings through the barbecue sauce to evenly coat. Serve immediately.