Originally posted 19/12/2014
Rich indulgent hot chocolate made with melted chocolate, chocolate liqueur, milk and whipped baileys cream. Take your regular hot chocolate to the next level by spiking it.
It’s five days till Christmas so the pressure is on to get all the presents, I am still shopping. Screams!! What better way for us adults to relax and unwind, than indulge in this adult hot chocolate. It’s cosy, indulgent and like a hug in a mug.
This drink is also great for cold winter months. Rich and indulgent it should offer some comfort.
Ingredients for making this Chocolate Liqueur Hot Chocolate
Chocolate: Use chocolate with a cocoa content of at least 70% and one you enjoy eating
Chocolate Liqueur: You can use a brand like Baileys Chocolat Luxe Liqueur or Godiva.
Milk: You can use full fat, semi skimmed or dairy free milk
Whipped Cream: Use cream with a high fat content
Baileys: Add a splash for a grown- up hot chocolate
Tips for making this Chocolate Liqueur Hot Chocolate
Chop the chocolate into small pieces to help it melt fast and more easily.
Melt the chocolate over a barn-marie. This prevents the chocolate from burning. The chocolate can also be melted in the microwave at 30 second bursts.
Cook the hot chocolate over medium to low heat.
For more hot chocolate recipes, check these out
If you make this, be sure to leave a comment below . I would also love it if you tag @bakesbychichi on Instagram ❤.
Chocolate Liqueur Hot Chocolate with Baileys Cream
- 120 ml (½ cup) whipping or heavy cream
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Baileys
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 540 ml (2¼ cups) milk
- 60 ml (¼ cup) chocolate liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ( or any extract of your choice)
- To make Baileys cream, beat whipping or heavy cream and Baileys in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment at medium speed until soft peaks form about 4-5 minutes ( Do not over beat so the mixture doesn't curdle). Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl and sit over a pan of barely simmering water and allow chocolate to melt , stirring occasionally. Set aside once melted
- Add milk to a saucepan and stir in melted chocolate. Bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally. Add chocolate liqueur and vanilla extract. Cook for about a minute.
- Divide hot chocolate between 2 mugs and top with Baileys cream.