This Mediterranean Baked Chicken served with potatoes, mixed peppers, cherry tomatoes, courgettes, onions and a delicious honey herby sauce is the perfect dinner to serve any night of the week. The rich blend of herbs and spices infuses lots of flavour to this colourful and oh so delicious dish.
Cooking can be exhausting, especially now that I am home a lot. Between work, home schooling and cleaning, the idea of standing over the cooker doesn’t appeal to me some days. Which is why I am all about minimal effort, maximum reward kind of cooking these days.
And there is nothing more easier than making an all in one chicken pan meal. Marinate some chicken, throw it into a pan with some vegetables. Leave it to bake and you literally have a complete meal in an hour. It is totally fuss free, no stirring, no watching over it and best of all it is absolutely delicious.
Lets get into the Ingredients for the Mediterranean Chicken
Chicken– Use either bone in drumsticks or thighs. They are tender and hold flavours. You can leave the skin on or take it off.
Lemon– The juice adds a citrusy flavour to the chicken and keeps it tender and juicy.
Fresh Garlic– Rubbing it over the chicken creates a rich rub and when cooked turns sweet.
Herbs and Spices– A mix of lively oregano, delicate basil, smoky paprika and earthy parsley come together to create a symphony of flavours that brings a depth of flavour to the dish.
Honey– This sweetens the sauce.
Vegetables– Potatoes, red onions, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes and courgettes adds variety to the meal.
How to make the Mediterranean Baked Chicken
Make the marinade by mixing together the juice of one lemon, dried oregano, basil, parsley, paprika and honey. Pour the marinade over the chicken and leave to marinate for at least an hour or preferable overnight. Add the chicken to the pan and save the marinade for use later. Arrange the potatoes, onions and vegetables (except the tomatoes) around the chicken. Drizzle the vegetables with the remaining marinade, tossing them to ensure they are evenly coated. Cover the baking pan with a lid or foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, uncover then scatter over cherry tomatoes. Bake for further 10 minutes. This ensures the potatoes and chicken are completely cooked. Change the oven settings to grill, uncover and the cook for further 10 minutes or until the chicken and potatoes are crispy.
The honey sauce that pools at the bottom of the pan is so flavoursome. You can thicken the sauce by mixing in some corn starch slurry. Oh and the sauce goes so well with rice.
Mediterranean One Pan Baked Chicken with Vegetables
- 1 kg bone-in chicken thighs and drumstick
- juice from 1 ½lemon
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 60 ml (¼ cup) honey
- 3 teaspoons basil
- 3 teaspoons oregano
- 3 teaspoons parsley
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt or salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onions, cut into wedges
- 6 new or baby tomatoes , sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, deseeded and cut into wedges
- ½ yellow bell pepper, deseeded and cut into wedges
- 1 courgette, sliced
- Wash chicken and pat dry with a paper towel. Salt chicken.
- In a jug or bowl combine lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, paprika. Pour the marinade over the chicken and toss to coat. Leave to marinate for 24 hours if time allows or for at least an hour.
- Pre-heat the oven 180°C.
- Brush or spray half tablespoon of olive oil onto a baking tray or dish. Place chicken in the baking tray and arrange vegetables except the tomatoes around the chicken, Drizzle the remaining marinade over the vegetables, tossing them to ensure they are evenly coated.
- Cover the baking dish with a foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and add the tomatoes. Bake for a further 10 minutes. Change the oven settings to grill, uncover and the cook for further 10 minutes or until the chicken and potatoes are crispy.
- Remove from oven and serve.